What the examiner will say and do
I am going to play a melody twice.
Listen, then join in from the start of the second playing clapping the pulse and stressing the strong beat.
Now join in.
What you need to do
Listen to the melody once.
When you hear the examiner say ‘Now Join In’ clap the pulse stressing the strong beats as the melody is played again.
Hints and tips
- Listen for the regular beats. This is the pulse:
- Some beats are played stronger than others.
If the melody will be in 3 time so you will hear this pattern:
- And, if it is in 4 time you will hear this pattern:
- Clap back the pulse making the strong beats much louder
- Do not try to clap back the rhythm of the melody